JEC partner organisations have identified the following areas of common interest:
- The evaluation of energy use and emissions related to engine and vehicle technologies, fuel qualities, and the interaction between them.
- In particular, co-ordinated and co-operative research focuses on the evaluation of the relative performance of future road transport fuels and powertrains.
- The ultimate goal of the collaboration is to support the sustainability of European vehicle and oil industry, and to provide the European Union with facts relating to the energy use and emissions from a broad range of fuels and powertrain options.
The JEC research collaboration started in 2000 bringing together
- The European Commission's Joint Research Centre
- EUCAR, the European Council for Automotive R&D
- CONCAWE, the Oil Companies’ European Organisation for Environment, Health and Safety
JEC research collaboration has resulted in a fruitful and trustworthy cooperation in the field of sustainability of European vehicle and oil industry devoted to providing European institutions, Member States and sector stakeholders with scientific facts relating to the energy use and efficiency and emissions from a broad range of road vehicle powertrain and fuel options.
Partner organisations have a track record of good working relationships benefitting from their complementary activities and assets and sharing knowledge and expertise.
Structure of JEC collaboration
JEC collaboration is steered via a Scientific Advisory Board (SAB), which is in charge – among others – of monitoring activities, approving information for publication and communication and issue guidelines for on-going and future activities.
The Scientific Advisory Board – with prior approval of each organisation – establishes Working Groups composed of technical experts coming from within their organisations and sometimes assisted by external experts approved by the Scientific Advisory Board.
The Working Groups report on their activities to the Scientific Advisory board and must submit all information, presentations and reports for approval by the Scientific Advisory Board, prior to any wider distribution.