The JRC makers-in-residence programme is an immersive programme to promote collaborations with JRC scientific staff and enhance community building.
The programme is for EU-based innovative thinkers and tinkerers. For makers to further their practice and collaborate with JRC researches. For makers open to undertake an experimental journey of exploration of the world of JRC science and local community.
The JRC makers-in-residence programme aims to reinforce spaces of dialogue and co-creation by
- developing original thematic projects (multi-disciplinary; combining art, science and technology),
- attracting innovative ideas,
- promoting partnerships,
- publishing findings of dialogues and collaboration work.
JRC makers-in-residence programme provides
- a unique space at the crossroad between science and policy,
- space for exchange of ideas between makers, researchers and locals,
- resources (e.g. JRC makerspace, grants),
- an opportunity to engage in crosscutting projects.
The programme theme
Every year the makers-in-residence programme centres on a specific theme. For the 1st edition - 2020-2021 the themes are:
- Youth: a life through a pandemic;
- Pollinators decline:can you make the difference?
Every year there is a call for applications for makers.
During the programme
- a minimum residence stay of 10 days and
- a maximum residence stay of 22 days
Give the current COVID-19 pandemic situation, the programme will be hosted virtually, or if possible hybrid at the JRC site in Ispra, Italy.
The makers' projects will be published on the EU Science Hub.
Whenever hybrid, the main workspace will be the JRC makerspace, located in Ispra, Italy.
The makerspace is free for use between 7.00 and 20.00 (CET) during weekdays (closed on weekends).
Support to programme participants
Our JRC makerspace staff will support you during the whole period of the residence. Before the start of the programme, we will contact you to coordinate any needs and requirements.
- Grant: financial support for the duration of the programme.
- Travel allowance: we cover the costs for travelling to Ispra, Italy (e.g. round-trip in economy class).
Closing the programme
Makers will present the results of the project developed.
Join the Webinar to meet the makers and to discover more details about their prototypes.
After the programme
Makers will receive a certificate of participation.
JRC-MAKERSPACEec [dot] europa [dot] eu (subject: Inquirey%20about%20the%20JRC%20makers-in-residence%20programme) (JRC-MAKERSPACE[at]ec[dot]europa[dot]eu)