Our research aims to positively impact society, by informing political decision-making with scientific evidence.
We are a department of the European Commission. We work closely with European research and policy organisations, agencies and institutions such as the European Parliament, and with international scientific partners, including the United Nations.
We stand for scientific excellence.
As an independent source of science and knowledge, we ensure scientific integrity and transparency. We are committed to provide high-quality research to standards that set us to scientific excellence.
We anticipate new challenges.
Our approach is future-oriented. We look at what is coming next to be prepared for complex societal challenges, and to grasp opportunities for better-tailored policymaking.
We connect the dots.
We are no islands: relying on our strong networks in policy and scientific communities, we are able to map, review, analyse and synthesise the best available evidence in support of EU policies.
Why join us?
From within the heart of Europe, you will contribute to evidence-based policymaking to improve our society.
Trust, collaboration and transparency are our core values. They represent the way we work with each other and with our partners.
You will experience a diverse and enriching environment where we nurture innovation and creativity, offering rich learning and development opportunities for you to grow professionally.
As a JRC employee, you will enjoy:
- a flexible work environment for a good work-life balance;
- dedicated support for you and your family, including relocation, childcare, schooling, transport and more;
- health insurance coverage for you and your family;
- learning opportunities, including language classes;
- leisure activities and sport clubs to connect with colleagues.
Join our researchers at JRC sites across Europe. We offer vacancies for various career profiles in different positions on our external staff recruitment application (ESRA).
What are you looking for? Our career opportunities
We offer many career profiles in various staff categories.
Want to do research for policy?
- as a researcher up to 6 years contract as Contract Staff FGIV*;
- as a research assistant or lab technician up to 6 years of contract as Contract Staff FG III*;
- as a Grantholder / PhD student check out our Collaborative Doctoral Partnership Programme (CDP);
- as a Seconded National Expert (SNEs) up to 4 years.
Not a researcher? We have other opportunities!
- as an administrative / auxiliary staff in fields such as finance / budget, communication, security, safety, legal affairs, ICT and more up to 6 years contract as Contract Staff FGII-IV.
Want a taste of working for EU institutions?
- as a JRC Scientific trainee in Geel, Karlsruhe, Ispra, or Petten with a 3 to 5 months contract. Apply in May to start in October. Apply in November to start in March;
- as a European Commission (EC) Bluebook trainee in Brussels or Seville with a 3 to 5 months contract. Apply in January to start in October. Apply in July-August to start in March**.
Want to build a career in the EU institutions
- as a civil servant of the European Union to become a permanent civil servant for the JRC and the European Commission, apply for open competitions organised by the European Personnel Selection Office Our portfolios will adapt and evolve over time in response to new priorities, challenges and opportunities to best serve policy needs.
Discover more about the various opportunities and staff categories available at the JRC.
It is possible to work for the EU on a fixed-term contract basis. Contract agents (or staff) carry out a number of manual or administrative tasks and may provide additional capacity in specialised fields where an insufficient number of officials is available.
All contract staff positions are divided into four function groups (career levels):
- FG I: Manual and administrative support-service tasks
- FG II: Clerical or secretarial tasks, office management and other equivalent tasks
- FG III: Executive tasks, drafting, accountancy and other equivalent technical tasks
- FGIV: Administrative, advisory, linguistic and equivalent technical tasks
JRC contract staff simulation and model contracts
Seconded National Experts (SNEs) are qualified civil servants from EU Member States who bring their expertise to the EU for a fixed period of time.
JRC vacancies for SNE
Please note: While the JRC is publishing vacancies for SNEs no applications should be sent to the JRC.
Please contact your
- Permanent Representation
- Diplomatic Mission of Non-Member Country
- the EFTA Secretariat
- IGO Administration
Grantholder contracts are aimed at developing training, career development and mobility opportunities for researchers throughout their careers. The JRC offers contracts under the national employment law of the site where the JRC Institute is established to scientists embarking on doctoral studies, to those early on in their career and to those with experience. There are currently 2 categories of grantholders:
Category 20 grantholder contracts are intended for students who submit a proposal for doctoral studies related to a research area published in an institute's call for interest for grantholders. Learn more about the Collaborative Doctoral Partnerships (CDP) programme.
Category 40 Grantholders contracts are intended for senior scientists in a field relevant to the JRC’s scientific activities (doctoral degree and 10 years of research experience or 15 years of research experience after a degree allowing access to doctoral studies).
For more information, please read the
The EU traineeships programmes offer recent graduates a chance to increase their professional skills, expand their network and enhance their knowledge of the EU. Traineeships (or internships) offer a great insight into the work of the EU civil service and are available in a wide range of fields.
JRC scientific trainees
Twice a year, the JRC offers paid traineeships in a multi-disciplinary research environment.
The traineeship sessions generally start in March and October of each year and run for a fixed period of 5 months.
The JRC cultivates a workplace based on respect for other people and the environment, and embraces non-discriminatory practices and equality of opportunity.
More information can be found in the relevant vacancies on ESRA.
The conditions of the Traineeship Programme are governed by the JRC traineeship rules.
Permanent civil servants (permanent staff) are members of the EU civil service appointed for an indefinite time. They constitute the core working force.
The recruitment of permanent staff is managed by the European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO) through open competitions.
Temporary staff is recruited to fill vacant positions within the EU institutions and agencies for a set amount of time; this may range from a few months to a few years.
Vacancy notice COM/2023/2545
Job N° - 289208, Unit – JRC.C.3 Petten
Publication: from 12/10/2023 to 24/11/2023 until 12.00 hours noon Brussels time
Vacancy notice COM/2023/2555
Job N° - 360843, Unit – JRC.F.001 Geel
Publication: from 13/10/2023 to 15/11/2023 until 12.00 hours noon Brussels time
Information for JRC newcomers
HR for JRC Welcome Office is there to help successful applicants and newcomers with administrative procedures, if needed. For example by:
- facilitating the relocation to the hosting country;
- providing inductions programmes upon arrival.
See further details in the guides below:
EPSO and EU Careers
The European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO) provides the EU institutions with the workforce that best matches their needs. This is accomplished by deploying high quality, efficient and effective selection procedures, together with an innovative approach.
For more information, including upcoming competitions
Contact our Human Resources Unit
Human Resources for JRC
- Human Resources for JRC
- HR-JRCec [dot] europa [dot] eu
Human Resources for Contract Agents
- Human Resources for Contract Agents
- HR-JRC-CONTRACT-STAFF-RECRUITMENTec [dot] europa [dot] eu
Human Resources for Seconded National Experts
- Human Resources for Seconded National Experts
- HR-JRC-ENDec [dot] europa [dot] eu
Human Resources for Officials & Temporary Agents
- Human Resources for Officials & Temporary Agents
- HR-JRC-OFFICIALS-TEMPORARY-AGENTSec [dot] europa [dot] eu
Information for newcomers (successful applicants), JRC ISPRA
- Information for newcomers (successful applicants), JRC ISPRA
- HR-JRC-ISPRA-WELCOMEec [dot] europa [dot] eu