Category: Seconded National Expert (SNE)
Location: Ispra, Italy
Duration: Initial contract duration of 24 months (possible starting date 2nd/3rd quarter 2023)
Deadline: Please check with your Permanent Representation.
REF: JRC.E.2, Technologies for Space, Security and Connectivity
This vacancy notice is open to:
- Member States
As the European Commission's science and knowledge service, the Joint Research Centre's mission is to support EU policies with independent evidence throughout the whole policy cycle.
Its work has a direct impact on the lives of citizens by contributing with its research outcomes to a healthy and safe environment, secure energy supplies, sustainable mobility and consumer health and safety.
The current vacancy is in the Directorate for Space, Security and Migration, the Technologies for Space, Security and Connectivity Unit.
The mission of of JRC unit E.2 is to foster EU’s resilience and societal trust by enhancing the security and resilience of essential space-based, terrestrial and connectivity infrastructures and services. This is done through research, assessing current and emerging technological trends and anticipating the geopolitical security landscape including hybrid threats and technological risks.
The successful candidate should join a team, within JRC.E.2 unit, providing scientific/technical support to the European Commission Services in charge of the management of the EU satellite navigation Programmes Galileo/EGNOS and to the European Agency for the EU Space Programme (EUSPA).
In particular, the JRC has established, in strict coordination with DEFIS and EUSPA, a Galileo Public Regulated Service (PRS) User Segment laboratory, with the main scope of facilitating testing and demonstration activities for PRS user segment in support to DEFIS, EUSPA and CPAs with various tasks related with PRS User Segment.
We propose a position to support the activities of the JRC Galileo PRS User Segment laboratory, contributing to one or all of the following tasks:
• Operate and contribute to the maintenance and development of an end-to-end testbed for testing server-based PRS technologies
• Support the testing of PRS receivers in representative environments, including functional and robustness tests
• Support the development of PRS user segment producing relevant testing data (e.g. test vectors) required for the qualification of PRS security modules and receivers, as well as assessing the receivers in diverse electromagnetic environments
• Support DEFIS and EUSPA under various activities on PRS service and User Segment
The precise scope of the position will be established taking into account the skills of the retained candidate and the needs of the Unit.
Specific selection criteria are described in the vacancy.
The SNE will work under the supervision of an administrator. Without prejudice to the principle of loyal cooperation between the national/regional and European administrations, the SNE will not work on individual cases with implications with files he/she would have had to deal with in his/her national administration in the two years preceding its entry into the Commission, or directly adjacent cases.
In no case he/she shall represent the Commission in order to make commitments, financial or otherwise, or to negotiate on behalf of the Commission.
The following eligibility criteria must be fulfilled by the candidate in order to be seconded to the Commission. Consequently, the candidate who does not fulfil all of these criteria will be automatically eliminated from the selection process.
- Professional experience: at least three years of professional experience in administrative, legal, scientific, technical, advisory or supervisory functions which are equivalent to those of function group AD;
- Seniority: candidates must have at least one year seniority with their employer that means having worked for an eligible employer as described in Art. 1 of the SNE decision on a permanent or contract basis for at least one year before the secondment
- Linguistic skills: thorough knowledge of one of the EU languages and a satisfactory knowledge of another EU language to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties. SNE from a third country must produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one EU language necessary for the performance of his duties.
Eligibility criteria for seconded national experts.
- Cultivates a workplace based on respect for other people and the environment;
- Embraces non-discriminatory practices and equality of opportunity. In case of equal merit, preference will be given to the gender in minority;
- Encourages learning and development possibilities.
How to apply
Please contact your Permanent Representation for details on the application procedure.
No applications should be sent to the JRC.