PVGIS provides information about solar radiation and photovoltaic (PV) system performance for any location in Europe and Africa, as well as a large part of Asia and America.
- The default language is English, but French, Italian, Spanish and German are also available.
- For the supporting documentation see the links at the bottom of this page.
- First time user? Check out the Getting started section
Free and open access to:
- PV electricity generation potential for different technologies and configurations
- Solar radiation and temperature, as monthly averages or daily profiles
- Full time series of hourly values of both solar radiation and PV performance
- TMY data for nine climatic variables, formatted for building energy calculation tools
- APIs for fast, automated access needs
- Maps of solar resource and PV potential, by country or region, in ready to print files
- PVMAPS, a software suite for users to make customised maps
PVGIS uses high-quality solar radiation data obtained from satellite images, as well as ambient temperature and wind speed from climate reanalysis models. The energy yield model is validated from measurements performed on commercial modules at the JRC’s European Solar Test Installation (ESTI). ESTI is an ISO 17025 accredited photovoltaic calibration laboratory for all photovoltaic materials.
Disclaimer: The designations employed and the presentation of material on the PVGIS maps do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the European Union concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.