- JRC nr: JRC115449
- Datum der Veröffentlichung
- 13 März 2019
- The Technology Readiness Levels (TRLs) approach is relevant to map the functional decomposition of companies’ R&D value chains. TRLs matter for corporate location choices.
- Knowing what distinct types of R&D&I activities (or TRLs) stay, go and come back in EU territories ̶ and why ̶ is central for policies supporting local industrial and innovation ecosystems and clusters, and the identification and integration into strategic value chains.
- Fast-developing local strengths of Asian countries such as China, Japan and South Korea, in Automotive, and in Electronics and related fields are shaping companies’ geographical decomposition of R&D&I activities.
- While the EU has strong value chains in e.g. automotive (network of combustion engine) and pharma (highly skilled labour force and strong research institutions), corporate R&D&I investments are finding their way to novel applications in emerging technologies in Asia.
DOSSO Mafini, POTTERS Lesley, TUEBKE Alexander