The school is organized within the European Learning Initiatives for Nuclear Decommissioning and Environmental Remediation (ELINDER). It shall give students a global overview of all important aspects of nuclear decommissioning and waste management.
The school includes the following subjects:
- International status of the play in nuclear decommissioning
- Radioactivity and radiation protection bases
- Planning of the decommissioning of nuclear facility
- Technological aspects of characterisation, decontamination, dismanting and site release
- Management of the radioactive waste
- Societal aspects of decommissioning
The school will be concluded with a 'job fair' allowing students to meet representatives of industrial companies working in decommissioning.
The school takes one week (5 days). It is organized annually at the Joint Research Centre (JRC) of the European Commission (EC) in Ispra (Italy). Theoretical lessons are combined with visits of the nuclear installations in JRC Ispra and with practical illustrative cases studies.
Students who wish to obtain a certificate can sit an optional final test.
The school is organized by EC JRC.A.7 unit with support of JRC.G.10 and JRC.G.III.9 units.
MSc and PhD students in engineering, science or technology.
Language of the course:
Fees and charges:
The school is provided free of charge to university students. The school is not open to applicants with a regular income from professional activity.