The Karlsruhe site is the core of the JRC research for Nuclear Safety and Security, however some other related research programmes are carried out also at the JRC sites in Belgium (Geel), The Netherlands (Petten) and Italy (Ispra).
The mission of the JRC on Nuclear Safety and Security is the implementation of the JRC Euratom Research and Training Programme, the maintenance and dissemination of nuclear competences in Europe, to serve both ''nuclear'' and ''non-nuclear'' Member States. A strong cooperation and complementarity with their national organisations is of key relevance.
JRC in Karlsruhe employs around 470 staff and supports the relevant policy departments of the Commission with independent, technical and scientific evidence in the areas of:
- Nuclear safety.
- Nuclear safeguards and security.
- Excellence in the nuclear science base for standardisation.
- Knowledge management, education and training.
- Support to the policy of the Union on nuclear safety and security.
- Contribution to the long-term decarbonisation of the energy system.
Joint Research Centre
Visitor Information & Rules
All visits to the JRC in Karlsruhe must be pre-arranged.
Due to physical and radiation protection reasons, all visitors must complete a registration form prior to their visit and have a permanent escort accompanying them at all times.
For EU nationals their application form must be completed at least 4 weeks prior to visiting and with non-EU nationals 6 weeks is required between sending the form and visiting.
All camera phones, recording devices and electronic devices without pre-authorisation are strictly forbidden onsite.
The JRC in Karlsruhe is located on the KIT North Campus, Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen (about 12km north of Karlsruhe) and is easily accessible from the motorways nearby.
- Privacy Statement: Video Surveillance
- Privacy Statement: Processing of Personal Data
- Privacy Statement for Security opinions on Third Country Nationals
- Privacy Statement: Security clearance at JRC Karlsruhe
- Privacy Statement: Computer Controlled Safe Deposit Boxes