This media surveillance collects articles reported through publicly available web sites.
It is created with the Europe Media Monitor (EMM).
The selection and placement of stories are determined automatically by a computer program.
- USA: contact tracing is no longer possible across the US South due to rapid coronavirus surges, health expert says
- Brazil: President Bolsonaro underwent a lung scan Monday night after developing symptoms claiming his lungs were ‘clean’
- UK: just days after reopening, coronavirus forces several English pubs to close again; nearly one in six Britons would refuse Covid-19 vaccine according to YouGov/CCDH survey
- Spain: Catalonia may introduce home confinement to contain coronavirus outbreaks in Lleida
- Germany is investigating thousands of suspected fraud cases linked to financial aid to businesses and freelancers during the pandemic
- Belgium: new hospitalisations decrease by 5% in Belgium
- Luxembourg reported 20 new confirmed cases from 1,808 tests on Monday
- Greece bars Serbian visitors as Balkans cases rise
- South Africa: Total confirmed cases in South Africa now exceeds 200,000
- Saudi Arabia has issued guidelines for pilgrims that will be allowed to perform a limited hajj pilgrimage in Mecca later this month
- Australia: Melbourne to re-enter Stage 3 lockdown for six weeks
- India: with over 85,000 Covid-19 cases, Mumbai overtakes China
- South Korea: health authorities are increasingly concerned as the spread of COVID-19 is accelerating with recent outbreaks in everyday places such as apartments, gyms and golf courses
- Japan to ease coronavirus rules and allow events up to 5,000 people
- China reports eight new coronavirus cases which are all imported cases while Beijing area recorded zero new cases
The following news were found among the most mentioned/retweeted items:
- "Boris Johnson blames care home owners for deaths from coronavirus" (independent)
- "Coronavirus epidemic in Mexico could last until March or April: Undersecretary for Health" (reuters)
- "Fauci says US coronavirus situation is 'really not good' as new cases surge" (cnn)
- "Trump and Biden campaigns shift focus to coronavirus as pandemic surges" (washingtonpost)
- "This shady company got a coronavirus relief loan. Its largest shareholder is Brad Parscale. Trump’s campaign manager served on CloudCommerce’s board until late last year. " (motherjones)
The most mentioned English sources were the New York Times, the Washington Post, AP News, CNN and the Independent.
RT (Spanish Version), CNN (Spanish Version), El Independiente and Infobae, and Le Monde and Le Parisien were among the most mentioned Spanish and French sources, respectively.
Anthony Fauci (USA, NIAID Director):
"We are still knee-deep in the first wave of this. And I would say, this would not be considered a wave. It was a surge, or a resurgence of infections superimposed upon a baseline"; "The European Union as an entity, it went up and then came down to baseline"; "Now they're having little blips, as you might expect, as they try to reopen. We went up, never came down to baseline, and now it's surging back up. So it's a serious situation that we have to address immediately".
Imran Ahmed (UK, CCDH chief executive):
"Our hope for a return to normal life rests with scientists developing a successful vaccine for coronavirus"; "But social media companies’ irresponsible decision to continue to publish anti-vaccine propaganda means a vaccine may not be effective in containing the virus. The price for their greed is a cost paid in lives."
Fact checked: health-related claims
- Fact checkers debunk claims that hydroxychloroquine prevents patients from developing the worst kind of COVID-19, reporting that there is no scientific evidence that supports that (estadaoverifica).
Fact checked: anti-vax claims
- Fact checkers debunk an article from the personal website of an Italian journalist claiming that Bill Gates’ COVID-19 vaccine will change a person’s DNA (facta).
Fact checked: conspiracy theories
- Fact checkers debunk a viral social media post claiming that there is no pandemic and that a virus less deadly than the flu is being used to “enslave humanity with forced vaccines, microchips, and police state surveillance” (aapfactcheck).
- Italian fact checkers debunk claims that Italian ambulance drivers were ordered to turn on their sirens during the lockdown to simulate that there was a state of emergency and justify the instalment of a “regime of terror” (openfactchecking).
Mail to JRC-EMM-SUPPORT@ec.europa.eu
- Datum objave
- 7 srpanj 2020