This media surveillance collects articles reported through publicly available web sites.
It is created with the Europe Media Monitor (EMM).
The selection and placement of stories are determined automatically by a computer program.
- USA: Trump announced ‘serious investigations’ into China’s handling of coronavirus and said he takes no responsibility for any spike in people using disinfectants improperly
- Spain: Daily coronavirus deaths rise to 331 as recoveries exceed 100,000; Government considering setting timetables for walks as part of confinement deescalation
- Italy: 1,739 new cases bringing the total to 199,414; Moscow's motives questioned over coronavirus aid shipment to Italy
- France: death toll passes 23,000 but hospitalisations continue to fall
- Germany reports 1,144 new coronavirus cases and 163 more deaths; German economy expected to contract by 6.6% in 2020
- UK: Some children with no underlying health conditions have died from a rare inflammatory syndrome potentially linked to COVID-19
- Belgium: COVID-19 hospital entries at lowest since lockdown start
- Luxembourg: only six new cases reported
- Russia reports record daily rises in cases and deaths, with 6,411 new cases bringing its nationwide tally to 93,558
- Iran: Over 700 dead after drinking methanol to cure coronavirus
- India: Despite the pandemic, India sees a drop in mortality under lockdown; 1,543 new cases and 62 deaths in 24 hours
- Brazil edges toward being next big coronavirus hot spot
- Argentina banned passenger flights until 1 September while lockdown is due to expire on 10 May
- Singapore: 528 new Covid-19 cases were reported with migrant workers most-affected
- Indonesia: 2,212 deaths from people with coronavirus symptoms have been reported in addition to 693 deaths who tested positive
- South Korea reported fewer than 15 cases for the tenth day in a row; tracking wristband launched to deter quarantine breakers; foreign add is increased including 400 million USD for health projects in developing countries
- Japan: Tokyo area reports 39 new cases on Monday for lowest daily tally in nearly a month; Olympic Games could be scrapped if not held by next year
- China's Shaanxi province reports 20 new imported coronavirus cases on Air China flight from Moscow
The following news were found among the most mentioned/retweeted items:
- "In race for a coronavirus vaccine, an Oxford group leaps ahead" (nytimes)
- "ReOpen NC leader says she tested positive for COVID-19" (cbs17)
- "President’s intelligence briefing book repeatedly cited virus threat" (washingtonpost)
- "260,000 Words, Full of Self-Praise, From Trump on the Virus" (nytimes)
The most mentioned English sources were the New York Times, the Washington Post, Youtube, the Guardian, the New York Post and Politico.
Infobae, El País, La Vanguardia and RT (Spanish version) and Le Monde and Le Parisien were among the most mentioned Spanish and French sources, respectively.
Donald Trump (USA, President):
"I never even thought of changing the date of the election. Why would I do that? November 3, it's a good number".
Christian Drosten (Germany, Virologist at Charité Hospital):
"Now, what I call the 'prevention paradox' has set in"; "People are claiming we overreacted, there is political and economic pressure to return to normal".
Fact checked: spread of the virus
- Fact checkers debunk claims that copper “destroys” the novel coronavirus (factcheck.kz).
Fact checked: anti-Muslim narratives
- Fact checkers debunk a video claiming to show a Muslim man dropping banknotes at a gas station in India in an attempt to spread coronavirus (altnews).
Fact checked: anti-vax narratives
- Fact checkers debunk claims that Dr Elisa Granato, one of the UK's first COVID-19 vaccine trial participants, has died shortly after being injected with the vaccine (fullfact, open).
Fact checked: conspiracy theories
- Fact checkers debunk a video in Arabic claiming that the coronavirus pandemic was caused by 5G technology (fatabyyano).
- Fact checkers debunk general claims that SARS-CoV-2 was created at the Wuhan Institute of Virology (tempo); they also debunk claims that Nobel laureate Tasuku Honjo said that SARS-CoV-2 was created at the WIV (newtral, thequint).
- Fact checkers debunk claims that the coronavirus pandemic is part of China’s economic strategy (animalpolitico).
Mail to JRC-EMM-SUPPORT@ec.europa.eu
- 28 april 2020