This media surveillance collects articles reported through publicly available web sites.
It is created with the Europe Media Monitor (EMM).
The selection and placement of stories are determined automatically by a computer program.
- US: President Biden sets new Covid vaccine goal of 200 million shots within his first 100 days; California expands vaccine eligibility to all adults starting April 15, Florida on April 5
- Brazil's COVID-19 chaos sparks fear, countermeasures from neighbors
- EU leaders back 'global value chains' instead of vaccine export bans
- Spain: Amid looming threat of fourth wave in Spain, only half of 80-and-over age group is vaccinated
- Portugal reports 90% of new cases due to UK variant
- France extends partial lockdowns to other regions as cases surge
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel backtracked on Easter lockdown after uproar
- Belgium reimposes strict lockdown amid worrying rise in cases
- Luxembourg reported more than 80 cases in nursing home
- Israel to mark Independence Day under green pass outline as reproduction rate stood at 0.59
- Mexico's confirmed coronavirus death toll surpasses 200,000
- Chile in 'critical' grip of second wave despite one of best vaccination rates
- India records spike in Covid-19 cases as several variants detected, prompting fears of a second wave
- New Zealand: Coronavirus was spreading in New Zealand earlier than first thought, study shows
- China: coronavirus circulated undetected months before first COVID-19 cases in Wuhan according to study by UCSD
- South Korea: National Assembly approved $13.2 billion extra budget to fight aftermath of COVID-19
- Japan: COVID-delayed Tokyo Olympics torch sets off across Japan
The following news were found among the most mentioned/retweeted items:
- "200 million vaccines in 100 days is the new goal, Biden says, though the U.S. is already on track to meet that." (nytimes)
- "How Morocco managed to rank in the world's top 10 for vaccinations" (slate_fr)
- "Medical entities call for a ban on the use of chloroquine and ivermectin against Covid-19" (globo)
- "U.S. COVID response could have avoided hundreds of thousands of deaths: research" (reuters)
- "Senior Fox News, Fox Business producer dies from coronavirus" (thehill)
The most mentioned English sources were Reuters, the New York Times, BBC and the Washington Post.
El Cooperante, El Mundo and RT (Spanish version), and Ouest France and Francetvinfo were among the most mentioned Spanish and French sources, respectively.
472 articles from unverified sources were selected forming 9 supernarratives over the last week:
- Fact checkers debunk claims that COVID-19 vaccines contain aluminum, which will hurt the brain, reporting that while small amounts of aluminum have been used in vaccines since the 1930s, Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson have shared the ingredients list to their vaccines and none have an aluminum adjuvant (politifact).
- Fact checkers debunk claims that life insurance companies will not pay claims if a person dies within one year of receiving a vaccination against COVID-19 (afp).
- Fact checkers debunk claims that a US CDC study shows mask mandates have a negligible impact on COVID-19 outcomes, reporting that the study in question actually finds that state-issued mask mandates were associated with significant decreases in daily COVID-19 case and death growth rates (factcheck.org).
Mail to JRC-EMM-SUPPORT@ec.europa.eu
- Publication date
- 25 March 2021