Cities concentrate population, economic output, trade and commerce, cultural and social life.
Projections see future growth, both economic and population, to happen in cities.
Cities are central to many EU policies that directly impact on citizens' life.
Launch of the Community of Practice on Cities
In view of this importance of the urban dimension, the Joint Research Centre (JRC) and the Commission department on Regional and Urban Policy (DG REGIO) are organising this launch event for the Community of Practice on Cities (CoP CITIES) on 5 October 2018.
The CoP-CITIES is an initiative of the European Commission, open to cities and networks of cities, international and intergovernmental organisations and research bodies. It builds on and brings together ongoing work and expertise on cities by the Commission.
CoP CITIES will address specific challenges and features of cities and urban systems, such as
- social polarisation spatial segregation,
- housing unaffordability,
- demographic trends
The CoP-CITIES offers an open platform for the exchange of knowledge on urban issues in order to support:
- strengthening European policies related to cities and
- discussing potential future challenges and opportunities for cities.
CoP Cities and the Knowledge Centre on Territorial Policies
The CoP-CITIES complements and further expands the policy reach of the Knowledge Centre for Territorial Policies (KC-TP) on two themes of high relevance for urban development, namely:
- The contribution to the global actions on sustainable urban development, ensuring coherence with relevant EU actions for both internal and external dimensions;
- The investigation and application of new technologies such as Artificial Intelligence and new Big Data sources that offer an unprecedented opportunity to investigate the urban phenomena but also new solutions to urban challenges.
For further information on the CoP Cities, please email JRC-KCTP@ec.europa.eu
- Publication date
- 2 October 2018