- applied sciences | regional development | economic and social cohesion | economic analysis | digital divide | digital skills | social analysis | data collection
The workshop "Digital Transformation, Data and AI in the Western Balkans" aims to investigate how digital technologies, data and AI influence changes in our societies. Europe's ambition is to become the world-leading region for developing and deploying cutting edge, ethical and secure AI, as well as to promote a human-centric approach in the global context. It is also important for the Western Balkan regions to adopt and benefit from these emerging technologies.
It is organised by the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission in association with the Food and agricultural organisation of the United nations (FAO), United Nations Global Geospatial Information Management (UN GGIM) and University Ss Cyril and Methodius in Skopje (UKIM)
Call for applications and grants
The workshop organisers would like to bring together a variety of stakeholders, representing the public sector, civil society, academia and business, in order to exchange good practices, establish partnerships, and ultimately learn from each other.
We invite representatives who work in relevant sectors in academia, industry, NGOs and national ministries and who are from Enlargement and Integration countries to apply. These countries are:
- Candidate and potential candidate countries (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Kosovo*, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey)
- European neighbourhood policy countries Associated to Horizon 2020 (Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Tunisia, Ukraine), and new EU Member State (Croatia).
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
Particular emphasis will be put on the following aspects:
- Technological enablers of digital transformation,
- Digital data,
- Innovative services and applications combining the above.
How to apply
Please send your CV and Extended Abstract based on below template to JRC-DT-AI-WB@ec.europa.eu by 15 November 2021.
Acceptance will be communicated on 20 November 2021.
Grants will be available to a maximum of 30 selected participants, covering travel expenses, accommodation expenses and daily allowances.
• Update participants on the EU's policy on digital transformation, data and Artificial Intelligence.
• Discuss about main factors that can help or hinder the introduction of the digital transformation in Western Balkan countries.
• Present the state-of-play, opportunities, trends and likely impacts of Digital transformation, Data and AI in Wester Balkans.
• Discuss on the added value of the adoption of the digital technologies and AI including drivers, enablers, barriers, and risks and related mitigates in Western Balkans.
• Discuss on regional differences in the attitudes towards digital technologies and AI.
Hotel DoubleTree by Hilton Skopje, Bulevar ASNOM 17, 1000 Skopje, North Macedonia.
The workshop will be organized as a hybrid event. In case of travelling restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the workshop will be fully virtual. More information on time, venue and online participation to the workshop will be provided at a later stage.
A detailed agenda will be provided to the workshop participants ahead of the event.
All accepted extended abstracts will be published as technical reports of the European Commission Joint Research Centre.
Authors of the selected extended abstracts from this workshop will be invited to submit them to a reputable peer-reviewed international journal. Acceptance to the international journal will go through a blind review process and a decision of the acceptance/rejection will be based on the quality of the papers.
Skopje and online, MK