- applied sciences | management of resources | economic analysis | sustainable development | degradation of the environment | environmental research
The IUCN World Conservation Congress (WCC) is where the world comes together to set priorities and drive conservation and sustainable development action. Scientists, policy experts, business leaders and professionals from around the globe share their experience, innovation and latest research. The Congress’s Forum is the largest marketplace for conservation and sustainable development science, practice and policy. In the Exhibition, IUCN Members and Commissions, businesses, partners, and academia host pavilions, booths and events. This year the event will be hybrid, both online and physical, in Marseille, France.
The Congress is an important global event taking place at a crucial time when environment policy is focused on the post-2020 global goals for biodiversity. Through the Biodiversity and Protected Areas Management (BIOPAMA) Programme, the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC) is participating in the congress with several virtual events. The congress is a unique opportunity to bring together JRC activities on biodiversity, protected areas and sustainable development.
The JRC participates in the Forum with one campus session:
> Day 1 - 4 September
- 18:30–20:30 - What works in protected areas (PAs)? Data and information tools for mapping and understanding PA outcomes - Speakers: Steve Peedell, Luca Battistella, Claudia Capitani, Simona Lippi from the JRC BIOPAMA team.
> Day 1 - 4 September
- 09:30–10:00 Introduction to the BIOPAMA Reference Information System (Clinic)
- 10.30-11.30 Visitors count! Guidance for protected areas on the economic analysis of visitation (Technical event)
- 11.30-12:30 How well are protected areas managed? An easy, in-depth, and shared analysis with the Integrated Management Effectiveness Tracking Tool (IMET) (Technical event)
> Day 2 - 5 September
- 11:00-11:30 Marine Indicators (Clinic)
- 14:30–15:00 The Ecosystem Service Valuation Database (ESVD.net) for Protected Area Assessment (Clinic)
- 15:00-16:00 Governance and management – New approaches and resources from the BIOPAMA Programme to support protected areas (Technical event)
> Day 4 – 7 September
- 9:30-10:00 Conservation Tracking Tool (Clinic)
- 10:00-10:30 Primer on PAGE tool (Clinic)
- 10:30-11:00 The Global Database - Protected Areas Visitation (GD-PAVIS) (Clinic)
- 15.00-16:00 Identifying new conservation areas: a web multi-criteria approach using Earth Observation and other spatial information (Technical event)
- 16.00-17:00 IMET-Automated scaling-up module (Clinic - Language: Spanish)