The JRC report "China – Challenges and Prospects of an Industrial and Innovation Powerhouse" analyses China's approach to attain a dominant position in international markets.
China aims to achieve this through a combination of industrial, research and innovation, trade and foreign direct investment policies.
The report also offers an evidence-based assessment of China's current position compared to the EU and US innovation systems across a range of dimensions, emphasising quantitative data on China's development.
It concludes that China has become a major industrial competitor in several rapidly expanding high-tech sectors, and may well attain innovation leadership in specific areas.
The report was launched on 23 May 2019.
Recording of the launch event
Welcome by Vladimir Sucha and presentation of JRC China report by Xabier Goenaga
- Welcome by Vladimir Sucha (Director-General, Joint Research Centre, European Commission)
- Presentation of the JRC report by Xabier Goenaga (Head of Unit, Joint Research Centre, European Commission)
First panel discussion on JRC China report
Moderator: Vladimir Sucha (Director-General, Joint Research Centre, European Commission)
- Helena König (Deputy Director-General, DG TRADE, European Commission)
- Paola Pampaloni, (Deputy Managing Director for Asia and Pacific, European External Action Service)
- Dr Stefan Mair, (Member of the Executive Board, The German Business Representation, BDI)
Second panel discussion on JRC China report
Moderator: Joanna Sopinska (Trade Correspondent, MLex)
- Pascal Metivier (Senior Executive Vice-President, Science & Technology Director, Solvay S.A.)
- Prof Cong Cao (The University of Nottingham Ningbo, China)
- Prof Sylvia Schwaag Serger (Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Lund University, Sweden)
- Prof Erica Fuchs (Carnegie Mellon University, USA).